|2.50||cup||Beans, white dried|
|Olive oil as needed|
|5.50||lb||Lamb shank (10 shanks)|
|1.50||lb||Carrots peeled, sliced|
|4.00||x||Leeks , white and pale green parts, chopped|
|3.00||x||Bay leaves, whole|
|2.00||qt||Knorr Ultimate Low Sodium Roasted Chicken Base 6 x 1 Lb prepared|
|40.00||oz||Tomatoes, plum , drained, crushed|
|3.00||x||Bell pepper, red large|
|3.00||tbsp||Marjoram(1) minced or dried|
1. Soak beans overnight.
2. In a large stock pot heat oil and brown lamb shanks on all sides. Remove and set aside.
3. Heat remaining oil and sauté onions, carrots, leeks, garlic, thyme and bay leaves until onions are transparent.
4. Add prepared Knorr Ultimate Low Sodium Chicken Base, tomatoes, lamb shanks and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Spoon off as much of the fat as possible.
5. Preheat oven at 350°F.
6. Drain and rinse white beans and add to lamb. Place in a large roasting pan and continue cooking in the oven for another hour.
7. Remove lamb, cover and continue cooking white beans until tender about 45 minutes adding more prepared Knorr Ultimate Low Sodium Chicken Base if necessary.
8. Char peppers over broiler or on top of stove until blackened on all sides. Place peppers in paper bag, seal and let peppers stand for 10 minutes. Peel, seed and cut into small julienne.
9. Remove meat from bones, then cut into chunks. Add lamb, peppers and marjoram to beans and cook until heated through. (This dish can be made a day ahead).