|0.22||cup||Butter , unsalted|
|4.00||lb||Lamb shoulder , cut into 1 inch pieces|
|1.00||cup||Spanish onion , diced|
|5.30||cl||Garlic cloves, minced|
|3.33||cup||tomato , peeled, seeded and finely chopped|
|0.70||tsp||Thyme , fresh, chopped|
|0.70||tsp||Oregano(1) , fresh, chopped|
|0.70||qt||Knorr Ultimate Roasted Chicken Base 6 x 1 Lb , prepared|
|Italian Parsley to garnish, finely chopped|
|0.22||cup||Lemon juice, fresh|
|1.00||pt||LeGout Cream Soup Base, prepared|
|5.30||oz||Kasseri cheese , grated or sharp cheddar cheese|
This dish was made famous by Empress Eugenie, wife of Napoleon III. She liked it so much that she sent her chef to get the recipe from the palace chef. As the story goes, the palace chef told him that a true chef does not cook from exact recipes, but from instinct.
1. In a large pan, melt butter, add oil and heat together. Brown lamb for about 5-7 minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook for about 1 more minute.
2. To the lamb mixture add the tomato paste, tomatoes, thyme, oregano and the prepared Knorr Ultimate Chicken Base. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until the lamb is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
3. Heat grill, pierce eggplant all over and place atop hot grill. Grill for about 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
4. Prepare a bowl with 6 cups of water, 6 tbsp salt and 1/3 cup of lemon juice. Set aside until ready to use.
5. When the eggplants are cool enough to handle, peel them and place the pulp in the prepared lemon water.
6. Let stand for 10 minutes to prevent discoloration. Transfer the pulp into a strainer and drain the excess liquid by pressing the pulp gently with the back of a large wooden spoon.
7. In saucepan, prepare LeGout Cream Soup Base according to package directions, add eggplant pulp and cheese, whisking constantly. Cook for 4 minutes.
To Serve: Spoon the creamy eggplant in the center of serving dish and arrange the lamb around. Top with some of the sauce from the lamb and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Yield: 15 servings